Funds are required to cover the cost of books, printed notes, resource material, consumables, equipment purchased, and equipment maintenance, etc. These expenses are partly met by Government Grants. However, in order to provide a quality educational program for all students, it is necessary to supplement these grants with the following sources of income:
The Materials and Services Charge “Prescribed Sum” paid by parents at the beginning of the year is set at $872.00 for years 7, 8 and 9, $798.00 for years 10 and 11 and $1267.00 for year 12. A poll of parents in October 2021 set the fee level for 2022 with a due date of 14 April 2022.
Results of the Poll:
- Years 7-9 – 74% Yes
- Years 10-11 – 60% Yes
- Year 12 – 62% Yes
The charge and subject charges were approved by the Chief Executive in December 2021. There is no voluntary component and therefore the total charge is legally recoverable.
Supplementary subject charges have been approved by Governing Council and the Chief Executive in recognition of the high cost of consumable items. These subject areas generally charge students throughout the year for certain projects and this now means that the additional charge is paid at the beginning of the year or semester. Some very large or complex projects may still require a further cost which will be individually negotiated. The invoice details the full year cost for all year levels for 2022.
An allowance of $334.00 per annum is paid to the school by the Government on behalf of approved School Card students. This allowance is to assist with the cost of books, materials and equipment necessary for classroom activities and school charges. A new application for approval is required and is to be submitted for each student each year at each school.
Information for eligibility can be found on the Department for Education website (click here) or from the school.
- Payment of the Materials and Services charge by instalment can be arranged for approved families by emailing the Finance team on email@example.com.
- The instalment agreement spans the period up to the end of term 2, June 30 2022.
- Online – Via the school website, click on payments and follow the prompts.
- Apps – Qkr! Or Brighton Secondary School
- Direct debit – To set up an automatic deduction from your bank account email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student reception – 8.30am to 2.30pm Monday to Friday. Phone 8375 8200 to pay via credit/debit card