The Brighton Special Interest Music Centre was established in 1976 and is one of four Special Interest Music Schools in Adelaide.
Brighton Secondary School is recognised nationally and internationally as one of the strongest music programs in South Australia over a number of years with many Old Scholars occupying prominent positions in music education and the music industry.
All students at Brighton Secondary School are encouraged to enrol in Core Music as a subject in Year 7. This subject caters for students with no prior musical experience as well as continuing music students. Students with a passion and desire to study music more intensively can audition for the Special Interest Music Program. This program is also available for students outside the Brighton Secondary School zone.
Features of the Brighton Special Interest Music Centre
Choirs and instrumental ensembles are at the heart of music-making at Brighton.
The school provides a wide variety of ensemble experiences including orchestras, concert bands, big bands, performance choirs, small ensembles, chamber groups and percussion ensembles.
Ensemble experiences include:
- ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day ceremonies
- Generations in Jazz in Mount Gambier
- Adelaide Choral Eisteddfod
- Symphony by the Sea
- ABODA South Australian Band Festival
- Essentially Ellington Festival
- Assisting artists for the Primary Schools’ Music Festival
- Percussion Showcase
- Jazz Cabaret
- Brighton Festive Carols in St Peter’s Cathedral
- International music tours.
Courses and Curriculum
The Brighton Special Interest Music Centre offers unique opportunities for the study of music at secondary level through specialised staffing and resources – one outcome being the consistent achievement of Merits for Stage 2 SACE subjects by Brighton Secondary School music students.
The following components form the basis of the music curriculum for all music students:
- solo performance
- history and analysis
- music technology
- instrumental tuition
- ensemble performance
- choral training.
For more details on all Music courses and curriculum please see the Music Centre’s website.
Special Interest Music
Successful applicants into the Special Interest Program will receive the following benefits:
- Right of entry into Brighton Secondary School from out of zone.
- Reimbursement of tuition fees up to $450.00 per year for study of one instrument with a private teacher (conditions apply).
- The opportunity to study music with students who have similar interests, abilities and passion.