Special Interest Music Centre presents a symphony of successes in its 25th anniversary year
Sun 1st January, 2012
2011 was a spectacular year of concerts and accolades, appropriately showcasing the amazing talent of the Special Interest music students. The year started brilliantly as many of 2010 music students gained perfect music scores in Solo Performance, Performance Special Study and Ensemble Performance. Highlights continued throughout the year:
- Students hold several concerts at the Government House.
- The Big Band One and Big Band Two toured and performed in the Annual Generation in Jazz held in Mount Gambier. Year 11 Trumpeter, Sam Hicks, is singled out by Jazz great, James Morrison, as one of the outstanding trumpeters in Australia.
- Sam Hicks plays for Brighton Secondary School Poppy Rain, showcased on ABC National TV.
- The Year 9, 10 and 11 Combined Choir gave a wonderful rendition of ‘Va Pensiero’ at the Adelaide Italian National Day Celebration.
- Several appearances at Recitals Australia concerts, broadcast by Radio Adelaide throughout the year, including a most successful Piano Recital by old scholar, Tong Zhang and Jeff Kong (aired several times on Radio Adelaide).
- The Chaplain’s Concert staged by Sinfonia and the Symphony Orchestra featuring German exchange student as lead cellist of the orchestra.
- The 2011 Spectacular Concert (the 35th Birthday Celebration) in Elder Hall featured ‘Limited Edition’, Adelaide’s gifted singing group of old scholars who graduated in 1989 and 1990. The Concert also showcased two of the school’s major talents; Lucas O’Brien, based in Perth completing his Doctoral Degree in Violin and Julian Bain, an amazing freelance trombone specialist.
- Old scholar, Andrew Bain, the Principal Horn at Melbourne Symphony, recently won the Principal Horn position in Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. Andrew is one of the finest horn players in the world.